In 1920 a doctor decided to build a pair of semi detached houses with the intention of one being a home and the other a doctors surgery, however a dentist bought one of the houses and a dental practice has operated from this site ever since.
Up until 1990 when Ian Hilton bought the building there had been a single surgery, waiting room and office on the ground floor and a self contained flat on the first floor.
Ian had owned a two surgery dental practice in West London for 3 years but decided to move to the North for both personal and professional reasons. After two years a second surgery was installed and a dental hygienist recruited.
Recruitment of dental surgeons is difficult in the coastal regions of the North with most graduates wanting to work in cities, therefore to allow for further expansion Ian Hilton became a postgraduate trainer for Leeds University which meant every year a newly qualified dentist came to work for one years post graduate training at the Practice. This meant that young dentists were tempted away from the city and proved to be the recruitment strategy that successfully led to four more dental surgeons joining the team and a further two surgeries installed to accommodate the expansion.
The Practice continues to develop and now has an Orthodontic Specialist on the team to provide tooth straightening.